My love for beets began a few months ago when I tried the beet salad at Giada here in Las Vegas. After this life-changing meal I picked some fresh beets from a local orchard and made my own version of the salad. I wanted to try another recipe with this yummy ingredient, so I decided on this sweet and savory recipe since I’ve been obsessed with making galettes (you can see the blackberry recipe here). It turned out very well and the homemade crust makes all of the difference! I also tried using store-bought dough since it would be quicker, but adding the extra effort is definitely worth it.
Sweet Potato and Beet Galette
For the crust
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp. cold water
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted (for brushing once assembled)
For the Filling
- 1 large sweet potato, washed, peeled and sliced thin
- 3 medium beets, washed, peeled and sliced thin
- 1/2 cup Gorgonzola cheese
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbs. fresh thyme (and save some for garnish!)
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, until combined. Cut the butter into the flour mixture by using a pastry cutter or your fingers. Add egg and mix with a fork until the texture resembles coarse, wet breadcrumbs. Sprinkle the cold water over the mixture and use your hands or a fork to evenly distribute it. Shape dough into a ball or disk and cover with cling wrap. Chill in refrigerator for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then place dough on top of it. Use a floured rolling pin to create a large, flat circle that is about 1/8″ thick and 12″ in diameter.
- Arrange sliced beets and sweet potatoes in a circle, leaving about 2″ of empty dough around it. Fold the dough over the filling. Brush entire galette with olive oil, then sprinkle on salt, fresh thyme and Gorgonzola cheese. Bake for about 30 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Garnish with remaining thyme.