This time of year I see rhubarb recipes everywhere, but I’ve never actually tried this ingredient! When I saw this strawberry rhubarb tart filling at World Market I thought it would be an easy way to try out this summertime favorite. To keep things simple, I just placed the mixture into two ramekin dishes, then topped it with a yummy streusel (adding some ground ginger complements it perfectly!). Once it was done baking, I served it with homemade vanilla ice cream. Rob and I put our ice cream maker to good use, especially in the summer (we’ve made this thin mint ice cream a few times and this chocolate chip cookie dough flavor)! These delicious little dessert dishes were so easy to make and perfect for a backyard barbecue!
Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble with Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 22 oz. jar strawberry rhubarb tart filling
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 4 Tbsp. cold butter, cut into pieces
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Place filling evenly into two ramekin dishes and set aside.
- Whisk together flour, oats, brown sugar and ginger. Add the butter and use your fingers to combine the mixture. Squeeze the butter lightly and toss it with the dry ingredients until crumbly. Evenly sprinkle over the fruit filling.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until topping is golden and fruit mixture is bubbly.
- Remove and cool slightly, then top with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.
Shop the kitchen items used: