I always want some more cupcakes! And this classic campfire treat turned unique sweet is no exception. The Nutella frosting is just the icing on the cake… literally.
These s’more cupcakes take me back to summer and sitting around a bonfire at the beach, roasting marshmallows and laughing with friends. Although it’s already warming up in Vegas, hopefully these sweet treats will offer those of you still living in the snow a little taste of summer and sunshine!
S’more Cupcakes with Nutella Frosting
For the graham cracker crust:
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tablespoon. sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
For the cupcakes:
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup black coffee
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup Nutella
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- salt to taste
- mini marshmallows and graham cracker crumbs to decorate
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- To make the graham cracker crust, combine crumbs, sugar and butter until evenly coated. Place a tablespoon of the mixture into each cupcake liner. Use a glass to press down on the crumbs, until a solid crust forms. Bake for 5 minutes, let cool before filling with cupcake batter.
- To make the cupcakes, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in the bowl of a standing mixer. Add eggs, coffee, buttermilk, canola oil and vanilla and beat on medium speed for 2-3 minutes, until smooth. The batter will be thin. Gently fold in chocolate chips. Fill baking cups until 2/3 full and bake for 14-16 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool before frosting.
- To make the frosting, beat butter in the bowl of a standing mixer on high for 2-3 minutes, until smooth and creamy. Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and continue to beat on medium speed. Add Nutella and cocoa powder, then beat on medium speed until combined. Add 3 tablespoons of heavy cream and the vanilla extract. Add more heavy cream if it is too thick or add more powdered sugar if it is too thin. If frosting is too sweet, add a pinch of salt. Place frosting into pastry bag or Ziploc bag and use scissors to snip the corner. Pipe onto cupcakes, then sprinkle on graham cracker crumbs and mini marshmallows.