Having lived away from Seattle for three years now I’ve realized that there are quite a few food items that are unique to that area, one being the Seattle Dog. Back in college we would go out to the bars in the Fremont neighborhood and there were street carts outside that served delicious hot dogs with cream cheese and caramelized onions. I’m more of a homebody, but sometimes the thought of this delicious treat at the end of the night would be enough to convince me to go out. At the time I didn’t even realize this was called a “Seattle Dog,” I just thought it was an amazing hot dog. I have re-created a few variations at home and my favorite way to serve them is on a pretzel bun! I’m obsessed with pretzel anything. Then I top it with light cream cheese, a grilled hot dog or sausage, and caramelized onions. We have also used banana peppers instead of onions, which was delicious too! This Seattle stadium staple is perfect served alongside a beer while watching football this fall! Go Huskies and Seahawks :)
- 2 hot dogs
- 2 pretzel rolls (I got mine at Trader Joe’s for $.99 each)
- 4 oz. cream cheese, room temp or slightly warmed in microwave
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Then add onions, stirring frequently until browned, about 15 minutes.
- While the onions are cooking, grill hot dog according to directions on the package.
- Cut the pretzel rolls to resemble a hot dog bun. Spread cream cheese on each bun, then top with hot dog and onions.
P.S. If you love pretzels as much as I do, check out my recipes for Pretzel-Wrapped Lit’l Smokies, Bourbon Brown Sugar Pulled Chicken Sandwich on a Pretzel Roll and Brie & Rosemary Soft Pretzels.