The best way to warm up this season? Chili! This hearty, healthy dinner is perfect for a frosty fall night. The combo of sweet potatoes, black beans and avocado make for a flavorful twist on this classic dish. Light the fire, cuddle on the couch with a cozy blanket and eat up!
- 1 can (29 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 32 oz. vegetable stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1Tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 cup quinoa
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Sour cream
- Heat oil in large pot over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook for 5-10 minutes until soft and beginning to brown. Add garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, chili powder, cumin and oregano until combined.
- Add black beans, vegetable stock and sweet potato chunks. Season with salt and pepper, then cook for 5 minutes.
- Mix in quinoa. Continue cooking for 20 – 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until quinoa and potatoes are fully cooked and chili has thickened.
- Pour into bowls and top with sliced avocado and a dollop of sour cream. Makes about 6 servings.