I was at Trader Joe’s the other day checking out all of their seasonal items and I came across their Pumpkin Spice Butter. It’s like their Speculoos Cookie Butter, but pumpkin flavored. Since Halloween is coming up and I’ve been tempted to buy Reese’s cups EVERYWHERE, I decided to make my own version at home. I used dark chocolate, so that makes it better for you, right? Ha jk. I made one batch with this new flavor and a second batch with classic peanut butter. I sprinkled the pumpkin version with pink Himalayan sea salt and the other with plain sea salt so I knew which was which. Plus I love that salty and sweet combo. You could also use almond butter or your other favorite “butters” since there are so many out there these days! Enjoy :)
Pumpkin Spice Butter Cups
Yields 24 mini cups
- 12 oz. dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup pumpkin spice butter or creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Sea salt for sprinkling
- Line a mini muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir pumpkin spice butter and powdered sugar with a fork until combined. It should reach the consistency where it can be molded into a ball, so add more or less powdered sugar depending on the consistency.
- In a medium bowl, microwave chocolate in 30 second intervals, stirring between each, until it is melted. Use a spoon to drizzle a small amount of melted chocolate in the bottom of each cup. It should be just enough to cover the bottom. it helps to lightly whack the pan against the counter a few times to create a perfectly level layer. Freeze for about 5 minutes, until firm.
- Form butter mixture into small balls and place on top of the frozen chocolate layer. It should be small enough so that the ball doesn’t touch the side of the cup.
- Spoon remaining melted chocolate into the cups, covering and surrounding the pumpkin spice butter in the center. Give it a few more whacks on the counter to create a perfectly level top. Allow to set for about 5 minutes, then sprinkle with sea salt. Return to freezer for about 10 minutes, until completely set.