From the numerous pumpkin spice lattes I’ve seen posted on social media, it’s no secret that it’s officially pumpkin season! I love fall mornings that consist of a steaming cup of coffee, comforting breakfast and cozying up on the couch to watch football. These hearty pumpkin pancakes will definitely get you in the fall mood and are made with a few substitutes, making it healthier than a typical pancake recipe.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rolled old fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin purée
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tbsp. unsweetened apple sauce
- 2/3 cup milk (I used fat-free)
- Heat a griddle or large frying pan over medium heat. Lightly coat with cooking spray or small amount of oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, oatmeal, baking powder, spices, salt and sugar. Add the pumpkin, eggs, apple sauce and milk, stir until combined.
- Pour or spoon batter onto preheated griddle or pan, using about 1/4 cup of batter per pancake. Brown on both sides, until the middle is fully cooked. Serve hot with syrup, butter, candied pecans or other desired toppings. Bon appétit!