I was talking to one of my friends about easy weekday dinners and she shared this pulled pork recipe that she and her boyfriend love. My fiancé and I gave it a try and also thought it was amazing! It’s flavorful and very versatile, so it has quickly become a staple at our house. The first time I made it, I served it plain with polenta and broccoli on the side. Then we used the leftovers to make barbecue salads. To try something new, I decided to use it for a taco recipe. Since it’s feeling like summer here in Vegas, I wanted to cool, refreshing flavor, so I added a lime-flavored slaw and topped it with mango and avocado. To make it even better, pair it with a margarita!
Pulled Pork Tacos
For the pulled pork:
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or sliced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 Tbsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 pork shoulder (pork butt) – about 4 pounds
For the slaw:
- 4 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 bag of Dole Ranch BBQ Salad Kit
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- salt and ground pepper to taste
For the tacos:
- Corn tortillas (we LOVE Tortilla Land)
- 1 mango, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- For the pulled pork: In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, chili powder, salt, cumin and cinnamon. Rub spice mixture all over pork. Place onions, garlic and chicken stock in the bottom of the crock pot. Place the meat on top. Cook for about 6 – 8 hours on high or 8 – 10 hours on low (I have a smaller crock pot so it usually takes me about 6 hours on low). Once cooked, use a slotted spoon to remove the meat from the crock pot and place on a large cutting board. Use two forks to pull apart the pork and discard any fat or bone.
- For the zesty slaw: In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the vinegar, lime juice, canola oil and sugar. Add cabbage and cilantro and combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble the tacos: heat tortillas, then top with pulled pork, zesty slaw, mango and avocado.