This is rare: a dessert recipe that isn’t chocolate! I’ve been loving the light, refreshing flavor of lemon lately (especially those Girl Scout cookies!) and for a spring treat I paired it with coconut to create these cute cupcakes. They’re perfect for Easter when topped with some shredded coconut and white chocolate eggs—I’m a sucker for the Cadbury Mini Eggs this time of year! An easy way to make them look even more festive is to use colorful paper cups or wrappers. They are a great addition to any spring tablescape! Plus this buttercream is so nice and fluffy! It’s a pretty versatile recipe and could be switched up with different flavored extracts. I’m thinking about trying lavender next time. Hope you enjoy :)
Lemon Coconut Cupcakes
Make 15 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- zest and juice from one large lemon
For the coconut buttercream:
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. coconut extract
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- sweetened shredded coconut
- white chocolate Cadbury eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pan with paper liners, then set aside.
- For the cupcakes, start by placing butter and sugar in the bowl of a standing mixer with the paddle attachment, then beat on medium-high speed for about 2 minutes, until creamy. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Add eggs and vanilla, then beat on medium-high until combined. Again, scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl if necessary.
- In a medium bow, gently combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add to mixing bowl, beating on low after every addition. Add the milk, lemon zest and juice, then mix on low until combined careful to not over mix.
- Spoon batter evenly into cupcake liners, filling about 2/3 full. Bake for 17 – 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
- Now for the frosting! In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip the butter on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 4 minutes, occasionally scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl. Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating on low until combined. Mix in the milk, coconut extract and vanilla extract on low until incorporated, then increase speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 more minutes.
- To assemble: use a large cookie scoop to drop a dollop of buttercream onto each cooled cupcake, then gently smooth with a knife. Top with shredded coconut and white chocolate egg. Enjoy!