Happy National Dessert Day! I believe that this glorious holiday should be celebrated every day, but I’ll take any excuse to eat more sweets. To celebrate, I decided to share this delicious recipe! If there’s a flavor I like more than pumpkin, it’s hazelnut. And chocolate, but that’s a given. I’m not normally a fan of nuts in cookies, but these finely chopped hazelnuts are the perfect addition to this chewy chocolate chip creation. I also browned the butter to enhance that nutty taste and let’s just say not all of the dough made it into the oven. Now go treat yo self!
Brown Butter Oatmeal Cookies with Hazelnuts & Chocolate Chips
Yields about 3 dozen cookies
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup hazelnuts, toasted, husked and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt the butter until golden brown and has a nutty scent. Let it cool slightly, then add to the bowl of a standing mixer with the sugars. Blend until smooth. Mix in the eggs and vanilla. Add dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Gently stir in the hazelnuts and chocolate chips.
- Drop rounded table spoon of dough onto prepared baking sheet for each cookie, with about 1″ spacing. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet for about 5 minutes, then transfer to wire cooling rack.