With each new season comes new featured flavors. Because of this, fall and winter are definitely my favorite times of year for feasting. I love the seasonal squash, juicy pomegranates and crispy apples. Luckily they all taste great together, too! For a warm, nutritious dish, I combined sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, pomegranate seeds and apple chicken sausage. To enhance the flavors, I made a sweet and spicy glaze with maple syrup, cinnamon and chipotle chili powder. The cinnamon makes the kitchen smell delicious as it bakes!
Roasted Sweet Potato, Brussels Sprouts and Apple Chicken Sausage
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/3 pound Brussels sprouts, halved or quartered
- 1/2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. chipotle chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 links of sweet apple chicken sausage from Trader Joe’s, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1/4 cup Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled (optional)
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place sweet potato cubes and Brussels sprouts into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, syrup, garlic, chili powder and cinnamon. Pour over sweet potatoes and sprouts, then toss to distribute evenly. Using a rubber spatula works best. Spread evenly on baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, until squash is tender and sprouts are caramelized.
- When there is about five minutes remaining, heat chicken sausage in a pan over medium heat. Once heated through and slightly browned, transfer to a large bowl and combine with cooked sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts.
- Top with pomegranate seeds, cheese crumbles and pecans. Serve immediately.