Happy Chocolate Day! Yes, you read that correctly. July 7th is an actual holiday dedicated to my favorite treat. In honor of this glorious day, I made this double chocolate chip banana bread. It also resulted in some muffins because I had extra batter. Both were delicious! Flavorful, moist and decadent!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 2 medium bananas) *
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray 8″x 4″ loaf pan with cooking oil. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl or bowl of standing mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Mix in egg and vanilla. Then stir in bananas and sour cream. Gradually mix in dry ingredients. Gently fold in chocolate chips (you can also sprinkle some on top after you pour the batter).
- Pour batter into pan (about 2/3 full). Bake for 50-55 minutes. See if a toothpick comes out clean to make sure it is fully cooked. Cool for about 10 minutes in the pan, then take it out to fully cool on wire rack.
* Fun fact: If your bananas are too yellow, put them in the oven to speed along the ripening process. Place the bananas (still in the peel) on a cookie sheet and place them in the oven at 250 degrees until they turn brown. The riper the banana, the more flavorful the bread will be.
Here are some other chocolate recipes that you might enjoy!