I feel weird writing this post because it is currently 70 degrees in Vegas (yes, it’s January – it still blows my mind), but I wanted to share this recipe for hot chocolate because it’s a cozy Valentine’s Day treat, especially when paired with these vanilla creme Peeps and cute “nuts about you” mug – both from Target.
My boyfriend’s mom made this delicious hot chocolate while we were visiting them in Wyoming for Christmas. She had it waiting for us when we got back from snowmobiling and it was much appreciated! After freezing on the mountain, it felt amazing to put on fleece sweats, sit by the fire and sip on this rich hot chocolate while watching the snow fall outside. I have learned that my favorite part of outdoor winter sports is warming up with a warm drink in the lodge afterwards – preferably spiked with Baileys :)
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 6 cups milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Stir together the whipping cream, milk, vanilla and chocolate chips in a Crock-Pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until mixture is hot and chocolate chips are melted.
- Stir again, then ladle into mugs. Keep the Crock-Pot on low and stir occasionally to enjoy hot chocolate for hours.
- Stir with a peppermint stick or add crushed peppermint candy
- Top with marshmallows and whipped cream
- Add other flavors, such as butterscotch, gingerbread or caramel
- Substitute white or dark chocolate in the recipe
- Add fresh-brewed coffee or espresso
- Add whipped cream vodka or Baileys