With this heat wave in Las Vegas, I don’t even want to leave the comfort of our air-conditioned house to get food. And I love food. This recipe came about because I wanted to use up some of our leftover ingredients and not have to go to the grocery store. It turned out to be very tasty! The crispy tortilla with the creamy chicken filling is amazing. If you’re craving cheesy, crunchy Mexican food, but don’t want to hit up Azteca or Taco Bell, then definitely give these a try! It’s also nice that you can easily customize this recipe based on the ingredients you have or prefer. I used whole-wheat tortillas, but I’m sure flour would be great, too. Next time I want to add jalapeños, avocado, red bell peppers and/or black beans along with homemade guacamole for dipping!
- 2 cooked shredded chicken breasts
- 6 oz. cream cheese, softened (I used leftover cream cheese mixed with ranch dressing mix from my jalapeño poppers and it was great!)
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 cup Mexican style shredded cheese
- 1 1/2 cups chopped spinach (remove stems!)
- 6 (8-inch) whole-wheat tortillas
- canola oil for frying
- In a large bowl, mix together the shredded chicken, sour cream, cream cheese, salsa, spinach and cheese.
- To fill the tortillas, take 3 heaping tablespoons of the chicken mixture and spread it out like a log towards one edge of the tortilla. Roll up and set it seam-side down. Repeat until you run out of mixture.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium (you want it to generously cover the bottom of the pan). Cook tortillas two of three at a time. Flip them to brown each side. Let cool on paper towel to drain some of the grease.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream, guacamole, ranch dressing, etc. Enjoy!