Happy National Ice Cream Day! July is actually National Ice Cream Month, so eat up! To celebrate this classic summer treat, I want to share a recipe for tasty ice cream pie!
My mom used to make this pie as a surprise treat for my sister and I. I’m a huge Oreo and chocolate fan, so it’s right up my alley! It’s really simple to make and so delicious! You can use store-bought Oreo pie crust and hot fudge sauce, but I decided to try making them from scratch. I wasn’t adventurous enough to make the ice cream from scratch, though.
The fudge sauce on top is my favorite part. It has an amazing chocolate flavor and is the perfect consistency. Combined with cookies and cream ice cream (or any of your favorite flavors!), it’s a dream come true for chocolate lovers.
My boyfriend said that this pie was so good he would pay for it. Hmm might take him up on that ;) he can pay for it by washing the dishes while I stuff my face with chocolate.
For the crust:
- 24 Oreos, finely crushed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
For the filling:
- Cookies ‘n Cream ice cream
For the fudge sauce:
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweeted cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 6 oz. bittersweet chocolate chips, divided (Ghirardelli or other high-quality chocolate works great)
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Put Oreos in a Ziplock bag and crush with rolling pin (An empty wine bottle works just as well!). In a small bowl, mix with melted butter and stir until combined. Press mixture into the bottom and sides of pie pan. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours, until hardened.
- Scoop ice cream into a large bowl. Let it sit at room temperature to soften and stir occasionally (make sure it doesn’t melt or get tooooo soft). With a few, large spoonfuls at a time, place ice cream into pie pan. This method is easier than plopping it all in because you don’t have to spread it and possibly break the cookie crust. Freeze for 30 minutes – 1 hour.
- Begin to make the fudge sauce while ice cream is hardening. In a medium-sized saucepan, combine cream, corn syrup, sugar, cocoa, salt and 3 oz. of chocolate then bring to a boil. Stir until chocolate is melted. Reduce heat and cook at a low boil for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in butter, vanilla and remaining 3 oz. of chocolate until smooth. Let it cool.
- When the fudge sauce is cool, pour on top of ice cream pie. Place in freezer for sauce to harden.
- Serve and enjoy!