With Cinco de Mayo less than two weeks away, I thought it would be fun to share this sweet and spicy tostada recipe. The refreshing watermelon salsa complements the chorizo perfectly and will be a hit at any fiesta! Plus the avocado and cilantro cream sauce adds great flavor. They would pair perfectly with a classic margarita (or this blackberry jalapeño version). Rob has become quite the marg master, so I’ll have to share his go-to recipe soon! It’s pretty simple, but fresh limes and lemons are key. Then he tops is off with a splash of Grand Marnier—it’s so refreshing!
Chorizo Tostadas with Watermelon Salsa and Avocado Cream Sauce
Yields 3 – 4 tostadas
For the watermelon salsa
- 2 cups diced watermelon
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 2 serrano peppers, de-seeded and minced
- 1 tbsp. fresh mint, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. lime zest
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
For the tostadas
- 18 oz. pork chorizo
- tostada shells
- 1/4 cup queso fresco
For the avocado cream sauce
- 1 avocado, peeled and de-seeded
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp. fresh cilantro
- To make the salsa, add the watermelon, tomatoes, serrano peppers, mint, cilantro, lime zest, lime juice, salt and pepper to a large bowl. Gently toss to combine and place in refrigerator.
- Cook the chorizo in a skillet over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, or until fully cooked.
- Top tostada shells with cooked chorizo, watermelon salsa and crumbled queso fresco.
- In a blender or food processor, purée the avocado, lime juice and cilantro for the avocado cream sauce. If it’s too thick, you can add a little bit of water. Then drizzle over the tostadas. Enjoy!