I’ve been dying to use the new baking pans we got from our wedding registry, so first up was a fall-flavored quiche! I love cooking with butternut squash and sweet potatoes this time of year. They add the perfect amount of sweetness to an otherwise savory dish, like this breakfast quiche. The maple sausage complements the flavor perfectly and balances out the kale. I’m normally not much of a kale fan, but it totally works in this recipe! Great flavor and consistency. I can’t wait to make this breakfast again on a chilly fall weekend while football is playing on the TV. That’s my idea of the perfect morning.
Butternut Squash, Kale and Maple Sausage Quiche
- 1 pie crust (I used this recipe)
- 1 butternut squash
- 1/2 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 3/4 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 cup maple sausage, cooked
- 2 cups kale
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F and line baking sheet with foil. Peel butternut squash and cut into 1/2-inch chunks. Place onto prepared cookie sheet and drizzle with 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil and 1/2 tsp. salt; toss until evenly coated. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until tender and lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, make the pie crust according to recipe. Press into the bottom of the quiche pan and set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tsp. olive oil in a medium-sized pan over medium heat. Add kale and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until kale is dark green and wilted.
- Layer the cooked sausage, butternut squash (about 1 cup), kale and cheese in the quiche pan.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together eggs and half and half. Stir in remaining 1/4 tsp. salt and pepper. Pour over the mixture in the quiche pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until the eggs are set and the top is lightly browned. Let cool for a few minutes, then serve warm.