This is a recipe that I whipped up with ingredients that I already had in my kitchen. I wanted to use up the box of Rice Krispies and these milk chocolate toffee bits. Luckily, I also had a bag of marshmallows that were just fresh enough to finish off, too (I hate how they easily become a hard sticky mess after they’ve been opened). To enhance the toffee flavor I browned the butter, which gave it a nutty taste. Browned butter makes such a difference in recipes! I’ve used it for candied bacon ice cream, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and pasta sauce. It adds such a unique, delicious flavor. Hope you enjoy this easy, sweet treat!
Brown Butter Toffee Rice Krispies Treats
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 5 cups mini marshmallows
- 2 cups milk chocolate toffee bits, divided (I used Heath)
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Place Rice Krispies and 3/4 cup toffee bits in a large mixing bowl. Toss to combine and set aside. Lightly grease a 7″ x 11″ pan (or slightly larger) and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, brown the butter over medium-low heat (here is a great tutorial on how to brown butter from Joy the Baker). Once browned, turn heat to low and add the marshmallows and 3/4 cup toffee bits. Stir until it is almost completely melted. Almost being the key here—this will keep it from becoming too thick and sticky. If there are small lumps remaining, they will continue to melt/dissolve as you mix it with the cereal.
- Add marshmallow mixture to cereal and use a lightly greased spatula to combine until cereal is completely coated.
- Gently press the mixture into the prepared pan and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of toffee bits. Let set for at least one hour before cutting.