Monday holidays are the best. They’re like a get out of jail free card for the chores and activities that you didn’t have time to finish over the two-day weekend. Since I slept in all weekend and spent most of Sunday watching the Seahawks, I decided to wake up early on my Monday off and conquer my to-do list. This included writing several recipe posts that I’ve been wanting to share. If you’re looking for a gourmet grilled cheese to warm up with on these chilly winter days, look no further!
I LOVE brie cheese, so when my fiancé brought home a big wheel of it from his parents’ house I couldn’t wait to start whipping up some good eats! First up was a grilled cheese—the ultimate comfort food. To make it a little more gourmet, I added fig butter from Tader Joe’s, which is more like jam than butter. Then I topped it off with bacon and arugula. I could seriously eat it for every meal. It was delicious and easy to make.
Brie, Fig and Bacon Grilled Cheese
Yields 2 sandwiches
- 4 slices rustic bread (I used whole wheat)
- 2 slices brie cheese (with the white rind removed)
- 2 Tbsp. fig butter
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup arugula
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- Cook bacon according to directions, then set aside. I microwaved mine on a bacon tray for 3 minutes.
- Butter all slices on bread on just one side. Place on cutting board, buttered side down.
- On the unbuttered side, spread desired amount of fig jam on one slice (roughly 1 Tbsp. for each sandwich). Then layer the cheese, bacon and arugula. Top with remaining slice of bread, buttered side facing out.
- On a heated skillet, cook sandwich over medium heat. Use a spatula to press down on it to make sure the cheese is melting. Flip when the bread starts to brown. Continue cooking until the other side is also browned and the cheese is melted. A panini press also works for this step.
- Serve warm and repeat for additional sandwiches.