While my parents were visiting a couple of weeks ago, we had dinner at Giada, which was amazing! It had been on my Vegas bucket-list ever since it open, so I was beyond excited to try various items on the menu. We ordered several shareable plates, including her roasted baby beets salad. I wasn’t sure what to expect because I don’t think I had ever tried beets, but I was pleasantly surprised! The beets were tossed with goat cheese, roasted pistachios and a strawberry vinaigrette, which was an amazing combination. This inspired me to make my own version at home. Since beets are currently in season at Gilcrease Orchard, I woke up early one Saturday morning to pick some fresh ones to use for this recipe.
Ingredients (makes two salads)
- 3 cups arugula
- 2 medium-large beets
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 3 Tbsp. chopped pistachios
- 2 Tbsp. strawberry or raspberry vinaigrette
- Start by roasting the beats. Preheat oven to 400F. Slice off the beet leaves, leaving about an inch or two of the stalks. Scrub thoroughly and loosely wrap each beet individually in foil. Place on baking sheet and cook for 45 – 60 minutes. When they are done, you’ll be able to easily slide a fork or skewer into the middle. Unwrap and set aside until they are cool enough to handle. The skin should peel away easily, just rub it with your fingers or a paper towel. Cut into bite-sized cubes and set aside.
- In a large bowl, place arugula and beets. Add vinaigrette and toss until evenly coated. Transfer to two plates, then top with pistachios and goat cheese. Serve and enjoy!