Happy Friday! I didn’t have any great photos for a Friday Five, so I figured I’d share this delicious brunch recipe. Weekend mornings are already pretty sweet, but these waffles will make them even sweeter! My sister got me this Williams-Sonoma Breakfast Comforts cookbook for my bridal shower last year and everything in it looks so yummy! I told my husband to bookmark a few recipes that he would like and then I’d make it for us that weekend. Luckily all of his picks were ones that I had been eyeing, too. We are on the same page when it comes to almost everything in life, with the most important being food. I love recipes that call for browned butter (like these blondies or these Rice Krispies treats), so it immediately caught my attention. Plus the bananas and dulce de leche pair perfectly! This was definitely a hit in our household, hope you guys like it too! Have a great weekend :)
Banana Brown Butter Waffles with Dulce de Leche
Makes 4 Servings
- 1 cup dulce de leche
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. fine sea salt
- 2 ripe bananas, peeled and thinly sliced
- In a small saucepan heat the dulce de leche over medium heat, stirring frequently until warm and melted. Gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of milk, or enough to make the sauce pourable and about the thickness of heavy cream. Remove from heat, cover and keep warm.
- In another small saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the butter starts to turn a toasty brown with a nutty aroma, about 3 minutes. Transfer to bowl and let cool (if it’s too hot the milk will curdle and you’ll get a consistently like cottage cheese). Add remaining 2 cups of milk, egg yolks and vanilla, whisking until combined.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the milk mixture and whisk just until combined.
- In another bowl, using a whisk or mixer on high speed, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add sliced bananas to the batter, then fold in the egg whites.
- Lightly oil the waffle iron and ladle some of the batter onto the grid. Cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter (you can preheat an over to 200F and place the waffles on a baking sheet to keep them warm). Serve the waffles hot with the warmed dulce de leche drizzled on top.