Is today my birthday?! No, but it might as well be because its National Cupcake Day! In honor of this glorious day, I want to share this recipe for banana chocolate chip cupcakes with chocolate frosting. Is it a muffin? Is it a cake? It’s a little bit of both.
For the cupcake:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup mashed banana (1 large, very ripe banana)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 Tbsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
For the frosting:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp. light corn syrup
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted
For decorative banana chip:
- 1/2 of a banana, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin pan with baking cups.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in medium-sized mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, beat butter at medium-high speed for 3 minutes or until pale and creamy. Gradually add sugar 1/3 cup at a time. Beat for one minute in between each addition. Mix in eggs and mashed banana. Scrape the sides of the bowl to make sure it is all blended.
- In a small bowl, stir buttermilk and vanilla until combined. Then, alternating with the flour mixture, add to butter mixture while mixing on low speed. Gently fold chocolate chips into batter.
- Fill baking cups 2/3 full. Makes about 16 cupcakes.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until fully cooked and toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack until room temperature.
For the frosting: (recipe from KitchenAid instructions and recipe book)
- Place butter in bowl of mixer. With flat beater attached, turn to speed 4 and beat for 1 1/2 minutes, until creamy. Stop and scrape bowl with spatula.
- Add corn syrup and mix on speed 2 and mix well. Stop and scrape bowl.
- Turn to Stir Speed (1 or 2?) and gradually add powdered sugar until blended. Turn to speed 4 and beat for one minute. Stop and scrape bowl. Turn to speed 2 and slowly add melted chocolate. Mix for 1 1/2 minutes. Stop and scrape bowl. Mix on speed 4 for one minute.
- Since I didn’t have any pastry bags, I made my own using a ZipLock bag. Spoon frosting into bag, then cut small corner. Frost away :)
For the decorative banana chip:
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat.
- Create one layer of banana slices.
- Flip when bottom starts turning golden brown.
- When done, place on paper towel to soak up extra oil.
- Place on top of frosted cupcake.