When I was in Seattle a few weeks ago we had my grandma’s 90th birthday party! I meant to pack my regular white skinny jeans, but accidentally brought this pair with ripped knees. I dressed them up with a nice top and heeled sandals but my grandma jokingly said, “Maybe now that Rob is a Major he can afford to buy you jeans without holes in them.” I get it, they are very casual and might be a trend that I laugh at in the years to come. However at the moment it’s my favorite style of denim. This pair of skinny jeans is the most recent addition to my collection. They are really comfortable and have the perfect wash and amount of distressing. Plus I love the frayed hem! Although distressed jeans make an outfit look pretty casual, these are some of my tips for looking put together while wearing your favorite pair:
- Add accessories. Jeans and a T-shirt is a classic combo, but if you add accessories it looks like you put more thought into your ensemble. My latest obsession is this silk bandana from Madewell. You barely realize it’s on because it’s so soft and lightweight, but it adds so much to an outfit. The olive color is very versatile, but it also comes in five other colors and patterns.
- Mix textures. Distressed jeans already have a lot of texture, but I like adding other pieces that have a high-quality look and feel. The smooth silk scarf and heavier knit top create a fun juxtaposition. And for some reason textured pieces look more expensive than a regular cotton tee. However, this sweater tank was on sale or only $19! You don’t have to spend a lot to look like you did ;)
- Pair them with a simple top. If you want the distressed jeans to be the star of the show, wear them with a simple top. I think the outfits I save most often on Pinterest are looks where a classy blouse is paired with distressed denim and heels. The minimalist style is just so modern yet effortless looking.
- Find the perfect fit. No styling tip can save you if your jeans don’t fit well. This causes them to look sloppy and cheap. I typically opt for pairs that have some stretch to them so that they fit snuggly but are still comfortable. This pair from STS Blue definitely fits the bill! They fit true to size, I’m wearing my typical 26.
- Finish off the look with stylish shoes. I like skinny jeans that hit just above the ankle so that you can see my shoes. This pair is the perfect length for showing off these lace-up sandals. You could also dress up distressed skinny jeans by pairing them with heels. This creates a chic mix of casual and sophisticated.
Shop this outfit:
What are your tips for styling distressed jeans?