Continuing with this week’s workwear theme, lets talk about blazers! These sophisticated jackets are a must for every young professional. When I worked at a corporate office they were a life saver! My recipe for a put-together look included dress pants or a skirt with a sleeveless top and a blazer. I would also wear it over a summery dress to make it look more office appropriate. Even though I work from home now, they are still essential for meetings and professional events. Plus they can be dressed down for the weekends! Here are 5 more reasons why you need a blazer in your closet:
- It shows people that you mean business. A blazer gives off a total #GirlBoss vibe and instantly makes your outfit look professional. How you dress influences how you feel and how others perceive you. When you find the perfect “power outfit” that makes you feel like you can take on the world, that confidence comes across to others as well. For me, this outfit includes a sharp blazer and heels.
- They can be dressed up or down. Blazers are perfect for the work week, but can also be worn on the weekends. Next time you want to wear distressed denim and a basic T-shirt add a blazer and heels to instantly amp up your look. This casual, yet sophisticated look is perfect for post-office happy hour!
- When you invest in a quality blazer, it will last for years. Although fits and details may subtly change, blazers will never go out of style. Invest in a classic cut and color in order to make the most of your purchase. If you’re tempted to try a trendy style (like floral print or velvet), look for a more affordable version since you’ll likely be tired of it in a year or so. This blue crosshatch blazer from Banana Republic will be a staple in my wardrobe for years to come. It has a nice tailored fit and the cuffed sleeves are lined with a pretty striped fabric. Plus the one-button closure and flap pockets are very classic, so they won’t be out of style anytime soon.
- Blazers are very versatile. A blazer gives you endless outfit possibilities and can be worn year-round. Like I said earlier, it can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion. Plus, if you get a neutral color you can wear it with all of the pants, skirts, dresses and tops you already own. It’s an easy way to make any outfit look prim and proper.
- They flatter every body type. Whether you want a trim fit or slouchy boyfriend style, blazers come in a variety of cuts and shapes. I find that tailored blazers work on almost everyone because they cinch at the waist and have a structured shape. Depending on your height, you can play around with cropped or longline blazers to see which length looks best. There are so many choices, so try on a bunch and see which one makes you feel the most confident!
More Blazers I’m Loving: