This post had been sponsored by MARS Inc., as always all thoughts and opinions are my own!
Yay for the weekend! Anyone else have plans to binge watch TV shows, go for a hike and try a new brunch spot? I’m definitely enjoying some R&R. The weekend shouldn’t be the only time that we get to treat ourselves. During the week it’s important to relax and unwind, too, even if your schedule is beyond hectic. All of you #GirlBosses work hard and deserve to take some time for yourself! Everyone has a different way of relaxing. Some people love going for a run to clear their mind whereas I’d rather indulge in some sweets. I’ll sometimes stop by Walgreens on the way home and pick up a bag of my favorite DOVE® Promises® Chocolate before spending the night watching my favorite TV shows. One of my New Year’s resolutions was to do one out-of-the-ordinary thing that makes me happy each day, like buying flowers or taking a bath or cooking a new recipe. I’ll admit I haven’t stuck with this 100% because it’s easy to get wrapped up in your mundane routine, but below are a few ways that I try to treat myself on a daily basis.
- Take a bath. Every time I take a bath I’m like “why don’t I do that more often?” It’s so relaxing, especially if you light a candle and use a yummy smelling bath bomb. I usually workout at night, so I like coming home and soaking in the tub before getting ready for bed.
- Use a face mask. Not all of us have the time or money to hit up the spa regularly, so bring that sense of pampering into your own home by treating yourself to a face mask. Just the action of putting on that sheet mask or spreading on that colorful goo brings my stress levels down a notch.
- Eat some chocolate. I’m not saying you need to ruin your workout/healthy eating with an entire chocolate cake (although that does sound delicious). Even just a couple bites, like the Dove Chocolate Promises can satisfy your sweet tooth and make you feel like you’ve indulged! The dark chocolate mint is my favorite, which is the perfect post-dinner treat. I also love the messages inside of the wrappers. One of mine said “Buy something frivolous” and if that’s not the definition of treating yourself, I don’t know what is!
- Read a good book. I read for almost an hour every night before I go to sleep. It helps take my mind off of tomorrow’s to-do list and lets me feel like I’m part of someone else’s world. Fiction books are my favorite, especially thrillers, mysteries and a some chick lit every now and then. Let me know if you have any recommendations, I’m always on the hunt for new books!
- Do some yoga. Whether you go to a class or do some of your favorite poses at home, yoga can be great for your mind and body. I always leave yoga classes feeling accomplished because I got a good workout, but also feel relaxed mentally. Focusing on your breathing and flowing through the poses is a great way to slow down your overwhelming thoughts.
- Put your phone away. Stop checking your email, social media apps, etc. and just detach from the world for a little bit. As a blogger it’s easy to get wrapped up in social media and feel like you need to be engaging 24/7 but comparing yourself to others and stressing about your likes/followers isn’t healthy. I try to enjoy my evening sans phone so that I can spend quality time with my husband and take a break from “work.”
- Make something different for dinner. It’s easy to get stuck in a weekday dinner rut, but mixing up your meal can make for a special night. When Rob and I try a new recipe for dinner it almost feels like a date night because we are doing something out of the norm. We both appreciate a good meal, so it’s a fun activity to cook up a new dish.
- Plan a vacation. I’m not saying you have to put any money down or ask for time off of work yet, but just thinking about an upcoming trip can feel like a vacation in itself. Before Rob and I went to Nashville we had so much fun researching where to eat, what to see, etc. Sometimes just having a vacation to look forward to can get you through those long work weeks. Research has shown that the largest boost in happiness comes from the simple act of planning a vacation. Of course going on the trip will be amazing, too, but if all you can do is plan, that’s better than nothing!
- Listen to a podcast. When I’ve been staring at my computer screen all day and just want to relax and close my eyes I like to put on a podcast. I listen to my favorite country music morning show and podcasts related to blogging on a daily basis. Find a topic you’re interested in and nerd out! There are podcasts for every niche.
- Call your family or a friend you haven’t seen in a while. I live far away from most of my friends and family, so it’s always such a treat to chat with them.
- Light a candle. A lot of the time I buy candles just because they are cute, then they sit on my shelf unlit because I don’t want them to melt away. Since I light them sparingly it feels like a treat whenever I breathe in the amazing scent. Sweet vanilla smells are my favorite!
- Drink some caffeine-free tea. I love sipping on a hot cup of tea while watching TV or reading in the evenings. Calming chamomile and soothing peppermint are my favorite kinds. Stick with herbal tea as caffeine might make it hard to sleep. I also like lemon ginger tea since it’s good for digestion, but I tend to have those in the morning.
- Paint your nails. I rarely make time to paint my nails, so when I do it feels like a special treat. A fresh mani or pedi makes me feel more put together (until they start to chip… ugh).
Stop by your local Walgreens between 4/30 and 6/4 to save $1 when you buy 3 Dove Promise Bags!
How do you like to treat yourself after a busy day? Share your ideas with #UnwindWithDove on social media and check out more ways to unwind here!
®/TM trademarks ©Mars, Incorporated 2017